Friday 3 May 2013

May'd In Britain: BarryM


Hi ladies! First up is probably the most recognisable brand in the whole world, BarryM. If you asked anyone  in the Nail Blogesphere to name a British brand, I guarantee 99, if not 100% would say this brand. BarryM was the first brand of make-up/nail polish I got into at the tender age of 13, I remember going into town and buying a selection of Nail Paints (some which I still have to this day), Blushers and Dazzle Dusts, so BarryM will always have a place in my heart. Before I get into showing you some swatches, I thought I would include a little something about the brand taken directly from the BarryM website.


"Barry M Cosmetics was created in London, Great Britain in 1982 by Barry Mero. In the early 80's Barry had a number of retail outlets around London selling beauty and cosmetic products. The fashion was for dramatic, outrageous make-up. However he found that no one was producing the exciting and vivid colours that his customers required. So in June 1982 he decided to put together the Barry M Cosmetic range.

The Barry M name soon became a cult name in the field of colour cosmetics and in those days if you were a new romantic, punk or gothic the chances are you would have been using Barry M to make your statement!"


All BarryM products never have and never will be tested on animals, making the brand 100% cruelty free and their Nail Paints are also 3 free.

All information about where to buy will be included at the bottom of the post, so until then let's have a look at some swatches!




Coral is a bright Orange Coral crelly with a hint of Pink undertones. I say crelly because it's not quite a jelly, but it's more 'squishy' than a creme. I applied 3 coats of Coral for full opacity and the photos above are without a top coat. Look at that shine!



Spring Green is a vibrant, medium toned, grassy Green crelly. I think BarryM really like their half creme, half jelly hybrids. It's definitely not as shiny as Coral though! Just a word of warning, you will need to wear a base coat with this polish, way back when I wasn't as big into polish as I am now, I wore this for about 3/4 days without a base coat and ended up with REALLY stained nails that took forever to grow out. The photo above is 3 coats of Spring Green without a top coat.



Raspberry is a berry Red creme with Pink undertones. The polish is a bit more Red in person than it's showing in the photographs. I applied 2 coats of Raspberry without a top coat, because let's face it, who needs one with that shine!?



Peach Melba is a Peachy pastel creme. This colour is perfect for the Spring time, it's just so pretty! I applied 3 coats of Peach Melba without a top coat.



Electric Dreams/Retro Blue is an Electric Blue with a Turquoise shimmer. This was released as a limited edition collection for their 30th anniversary along with 3 other colours. I applied 2 coats of Electric Dreams without a top coat. 



Tainted Love/Retro Purple is a gorgeous Blurple with a Blue shimmer. This looks very similar to OPI - Tomorrow Never Dies, I wonder how they'd compare together *makes mental note*. Again this is from the Retro collection released as part of BarryM's 30 year anniversary, however you can still find the collection here. I applied 2 coats of Tainted Love without a top coat.



Gold Mine Glitter is a sheer Black base packed with Gold hexagonal glitter. I layered 1 coat of Gold Mine Glitter over BarryM - Black. You could probably build it up enough to be worn on it's own, but 'ain't nobody got time for that'.



Amethyst Glitter is an AH-MAZE-ZING combination of various sized metallic Teal, Purple, Gold and Fuchsia hexagonal glitter in a clear base. This polish is just gorgeous! I layered 1 coat of Amethyst Glitter over BarryM - Blackberry without a top coat.



Jewel Britannia was released in celebration of the Queens Jubilee last year and is a combination of metallic Blue, Red and Holographic hexagonal glitter in various sizes suspended in a clear base. I layered 1 coat of Jewel Britannia over Peach Melba without a top coat.



LE Christmas Glitter was released as a Superdrug exclusive last Christmas, and although it's not readily available to us now, I thought I would include it anyway. Christmas Glitter is a mixture of Red, Green and Blue small and large hexagonal glitter in a clear base. The glitter was a little sparse and did need a bit of fishing and manipulation to get the glitters onto the nail, the photos above are 2 coats of Christmas Glitter over BarryM - Watermelon without a top coat.



Ruby Glitter is a clear base with large Black and Ruby hexagonal glitter and what appears to be tiny Black bar glitter (which I'm not gonna lie, looks a bit like stubble). I applied 2 coats over BarryM - Mint Green without a top coat.


Purchase Information

BarryM Nail Paints are available for purchase from multiple places around the UK. I've found a few examples of where you can buy them here;
  • Superdrug - Both on line and in store, priced between £2.99 - £4.99. UK Standard delivery at £3 with free shipping over £25 when ordered on line.
  • Boots - Both on line and in store, priced between £2.99 - £4.99. UK Standard delivery at £2.95 with free shipping over £45 when ordered on line.
  • Tesco - Selected stores and on line, priced between £2.99 - £5.00. UK Standard delivery at £3 when ordered on line.
  • BarryM official website, priced between £2.99 - £4.99. UK Standard delivery at £2.95 for orders under £10 or £3.95 for orders over £10.
  • Nail Polish Direct, priced between £2.75 - £3.95. Free standard delivery with no minimum spend.
  • ASOS, priced between £2.99 - £3.99. Free standard delivery with no minimum spend.
For International lovers, BarryM can be found here;
If you know of any more international/UK websites or stores that stock BarryM Nail Paints, let me know in the comments and I will add them to the list! I hope you've enjoyed this May'd In Britain post, and will keep coming back to check out the rest of the posts! Which is your all time favourite BarryM Nail Paint?
To check out all my other BarryM posts, click here!

6 comments:

  1. I've got most of the polishes on here but they've never been that shiny for me! My Raspberry is a lot deeper red and kinda looked matte last time I used it but might be cos I wasn't so good back then. I like too many of theirs to pick a favourite :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this post! Great idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Amethyst Glitter is being added to the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superdrug free P&P till 7th May and Barry M 3 for 2 (I think!). Gold mine added to my list, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skypax services provide international consumers access to order any product from the
    UK and have it shipped to any destination Worldwide. We can forward or even purchase
    items directly for you from UK retailers or eBay and have them delivered directly to your home
    Uk delivery service

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very hard to tell how long it will take to sell a house. Know this risk when you decide to purchase a property. satta king satta Bazaar

    satta king satta Bazaar

    ReplyDelete