Thursday 16 May 2013

May'd In Britain: NYC

Hi ladies! Today on the May'd In Britain series we have New York Color, otherwise known as NYC. Now I'm not gonna lie, I can be a bit of a polish snob sometimes and overlook the 'cheap' brands you often find in Superdrug/Boots with the exception of BarryM cause let's face it, they're amazing. So you can imagine my surprise when I tried NYC for the first time and instantly fell in LOVE with the brand. Not only is their In A New York Minute range priced at just £1.79 each, they have one of the best formula's I have tried, like it's up there with BarryM/China Glaze etc. After a little bit of research, I also found that NYC polishes are 3-free and free from Formaldehyde Resin! As of right now, I can't comment on the longevity of the polishes as I haven't conducted a 'wear test' yet, but with a good base/top coat, I'm sure these will last you a long time.
As I mentioned briefly, I am completely surprised by the formula of the polishes, they apply well without any streaking/patchiness, they dry reasonably fast (maybe not quite a minute, but not much longer) and they're amazingly pigmented. To top it all off, they have a large flat brush (think OPI) for easy application.


As always, all purchase information can be found at the bottom of the post!





Chinatown is a blackened Purple base with a subtle Silvery Purple shimmer. Some people seem to describe this as a Blue, but I definitely think it's a Purple with some slight Blue undertones. I applied 2 coats of Chinatown without a top coat.



East Village is an Aqua/Teal slightly duo chromatic (is that even a word?!) shimmer. As expected, it is on the sheer side but it does build up quite nicely with another coat or two. I used 4 coats for the photos above without a top coat, truth be told it could have gotten away with 3 but I applied a 4th to even out any remaining patches.



High Line Green is a grassy Green creme with Yellow undertones. I'm always cautious with Yellow undertoned Greens and they do have the tendency to stain the nails after a prolonged wear. So I would recommend wearing a base coat with this polish. This is 2 coats of High Line Green without a top coat.



Lincoln Square Lavender is a medium toned Lavender with Pink undertones. This came out a little more Pink on camera than it is in real life, but I REALLY like this colour, it's so Summery and lovely. This is 2 coats of Lincoln Square Lavender without a top coat.



Manhattan is a deep Plum with Red undertones, or is it a deep Red with Purple undertones, I'm not too sure. Either way it's one of those classic 'vampy' shades. I always find this specific colour of polish to be a bit streaky, no matter how 'good' a brand it is. This is 2 coats of Manhattan without a top coat.



Spring Street is a florescent, but not quite neon, Orange creme. It kinda reminds me of a bright Carrot? This is 2 coats of Spring Street without a top coat on my pre-nail break nails.



Spring Tulip is a bright Bubblegum Pink creme with some Orange undertones. This colour looks different in various lights, sometimes looking muted, whilst others looks bright. I applied 2 coats of Spring Tulip without a top coat.



Water Street Blue is a bright Cyan Blue creme. I looove colours like this, but they always make me want to go to a tropical destination, probably because they remind me of swimming pools? I don't know. Weird right. This is 2 coats of Water Street Blue without a top coat.

Purchase Information

Below is a REALLY small list of where you can find NYC In A New York Minute polishes;

  • Superdrug - Both in store and on line priced at £1.79 each (and currently on 3 for 2). UK standard delivery is charged at £3 when ordering on line and free when you spend over £25.
  • Frangrance Direct - A small selection of colours priced at £0.99 each. UK standard delivery is charged at £2.99 or 2nd class delivery is £1.99


8 comments:

  1. i have high line green, i think its amazing, i love this brand, they are so cheap and the nail polish is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree. I have one of these colours and I bought it because it was a dupe for a discontinued Rimmel shade and I found the application a lot better and opaque in one coat.

    The only problem I see is that the displays in the superdrug that I use is woefully understocked and I never see an colours that make me stop in my tracks.

    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I totally love this brand and Im always buying their products. personally they are a really good quality cheap nail polish that I will keep on spending my money on :D WOOHOO FOR NYC!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lots of NYC's. I am crazy for Water Street Blue. Funny thing, though. I had no idea they were made in Britain! Guess I saw the NYC and assumed it was New York City here in the states. I never even thought to check!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen these in Superdrug and have seen a few I like, will pick some up now I know they're good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the new Foil Explosion collection from NYC the other day, and I too and now sold on them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. play bazaar satta king Funky floorplans are also something to stay away from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. satta king

    satta king Keep nails tidy and tidy. This just makes the situation worse, and long nails will only exacerbate the problem. Make sure that you clean underneath your nails regularly.

    ReplyDelete