Sunday 24 June 2012

Swatch: Finger Paints: Special Effects Collection (PIC HEAVY!!!)

Hi ladies! I have the Finger Paints 'Special Effects' to show you today, otherwise known as the 'Flakies'. Now, I've known from the second I saw the preview for the collection, that I wanted them. If you, like me, live in the UK or anywhere else besides the US/Canada, then you'll know that these are NOT available anywhere. So I organised a couple of US based swaps and asked each person if they'd be able to get them for me, luckily enough each person was only able to find one or two of the flakies, unfortunately, they were all the same kind; Twisted, Flashy & Asylum. I KNEW I had to find the other two, so I frantically went searching for them, by this time they were long gone out of the shops, so I knew my chances were slim...but luckily I found someone with back ups of both Flecked & Motley, the final two I needed. Needless to say I grabbed that opportunity as fast as I could.

Even after going through all of that trouble to get a hold of them, they've been sitting in my Helmer waiting to be shown off to the world for about 2 months now, sorry guys! But I've finally got around to swatching them, so here they are! All of the photos below are 2 coats of each 'Flakie' over Essie - Licorice and for the Matte photos, I used one coat of MASH - Matte Top Coat.


CLICK THE JUMP BREAK TO SEE THE FULL SWATCHES



Natural Light

Macro

Matte, Natural Light

Matte, Macro
Asylum is an Orange to Red to Blue to Purple flakie. You can even see a slight change to a Yellow/Amber shade around the outside of my nail. Asylum is probably one of the least densely packed of the collection as you will see, despite this being 2 coats.

Natural Light

Macro

Matte, Natural Light

Matte, Macro

Flashy is a Red to Orange to Yellow to Green flakie. I'd say this is probably as close to GOSH - Rainbow as you're going to get. Unfortunately, Flashy has a lot less flakies in compared to Rainbow, but we can't have it all right?


Natural Light

Macro

Matte, Natural Light

Matte, Macro


Flecked is a Bright Green to Blue flakie. I think this one has to be one of my favourites! The Green flakes are just so 'in-your-face'. There's definitely more flakes in this one per coat compared to Asylum and Flashy.


Natural Light

Macro

Matte, Natural Light

Matte, Macro


Motley is the total opposite to Flecked; it's a Purple to Blue to Green flakie. Unless you're a total hoarder, like me, I don't think it's really necessary to own both Motley and Flecked as they are the same polish, just with the 'focal' colour being the opposite way round.


Natural Light

Macro

Matte, Natural Light

Matte, Macro


Twisted is the 'Mother' of the collection, so to speak. Since it a mixture of all 4 flakies and basically looks like a rainbow has landed on your nails, or a clown puked on them...Choose whichever image you'd prefer. This is very similar to Unicorn Puke/Clairvoyant by Cult Nails, which has now sadly been discontinued! So if you're still able to find the Flakies in your local Sally's and are lemming UP/C, then this is the closest you'll get without selling a kidney. As you can see, there are a LOT of flakies per coat in this polish.



Phew! So there you have the Special Effects collection by Finger Paints. Finger Paints polishes are only available to buy from Sally's in the US (and possibly Canada too?) for around $5 (again, correct me if I'm wrong). As far as I'm aware, the Special Effects collection was Limited Edition and are now considered 'HTF' since they quickly disappeared from the shelves. If you are lucky enough to own them, which 'Flakie' is your favourite? 

10 comments:

  1. Finger paints are so gorgeous! I wish I could get them in the UK :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cool! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motley is everything I want in a flakie, but the chances of getting it are so slim ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue flakies but they're all pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE these so much! But then again, I adore flakies of every variation :) I love them so much, I dedicated a day each week to them on my blog... I haven't done these yet though. I really wish more of the 'big' companies would take note and start producing some flakies- Zoya and Finger Paints are really the only ones with fleck topcoats (and then Finger Paints were hard for all you ladies not in the US to get, since it was only available in the Sally's stores). I know there's a lot of color combinations they could do that we haven't seen yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG these are selling for $20 each on eBay! *faints* No fair. Thanks so much for the lovely swatches. It'll take a miracle to see them in real life. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you, that you were able to get these! I didn't discover Flakies until after they were sold out everywhere! Great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drool over these swatches every time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally found Asylum for only $8! Checking the mailbox every 5 minutes now!

    ReplyDelete