Tuesday 6 December 2011

Hello Sailor - Nail Art

I've recently had a creative block going on in my life and it's been the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced. Not only with Nail Art but a lot of things that I usually flourish in! Hopefully, I've now broken the curse.
So today I was wearing my favourite nautical cosy jumper, when it hit me, why not do a mani inspired by my favourite jumper! I instantly went to my nail station, or my bedroom floor that I've now made my nail station, and starting getting out colours for my nautical theme.
At first I was just going to keep it simple with just the stripes, but it wasn't until I was finished and was in the process of packing everything away that I saw my Gold Bullion Balls. Then off went the light bulb in my head...Why not do an anchor accent nail. So that's what I did.



I'm SO happy with how this turned out, it literally took me forever to get the beads in the right place, I don't think I've ever concentrated so hard on anything before. As soon as I'd finished it, I ran into the office to show my boyfriend my creation (albeit it's not very original, but I was still proud), I even went downstairs to show it off to his Grandma. Some would say I was a bit too proud right?!






Here's everything I used to create this mani (minus the tape which I used to make straight-ish lines and base/top coat).
BarryM - 3 in 1 Base, Top & Clear Coat
China Glaze - Poinsettia
Cult Nails - Time Traveller
LA Colors Art Deco Nail Pen - White
Gold Bullion Beads
Toothpick
Assorted Pearl Wheel
Sellotape
China Glaze - No Chip Topcoat


I was originally planning on doing a step by step documentation for this design, but as it was 9pm at night, the lighting was awful and made the red look bright pink. So I thought I'll just write a step by step guide instead.

For the striped mani:
  • Start with painting all of your nails with a Base Coat to stop the polish staining your natural nails.
  • Once this is dry, taking the Red polish of your choice, paint all of your nails focusing most of the colour at the base of your nail.
  • Whilst this is drying (or you can do this before you start the mani) get your roll of sellotape and cut off a large bit. Place onto a work surface and cut it into 20 smaller pieces.
  • Once your Red base has completely dry, take a small piece of sellotape and place over the base of the nail, partially covering some of the polish, repeat for every nail.
  • Take your White polish and paint over the visible Red polish, repeat for every nail.
  • Once the nails are all painted White, carefully take off the sellotape, making sure not to smudge the lines.
  • When the White polish is completely dry, using another small bit of tape, place over a small section of the White polish, leaving only the tip of the nail showing, repeat on each nail.
  • Take your Blue polish and paint over the visible White polish, repeat for each nail.
  • Carefully remove the tape from each nail.
  • Seal in with a top coat
For the accent nail: 

  • Whilst the Top Coat is still drying, empty out some Bullion Balls into a small dish and get a toothpick ready.
  • Dab the tip of the toothpick into nail polish remover to make it moist enough to pick up each Bullion Ball.
  • Carefully place the Balls onto your nail, into the shape you're wanting to create. You may have to add a another layer of Top Coat if you find the Bullion Balls not sticking properly.
  • Finally take a small Pearl/Rhinestone and place in the centre of the circle.
  • Seal in with another layer of Top Coat & you're good to go!

Wow...this is a super long post! I hope I haven't bored you to death with the long, poorly written guide! If you're still with me, thanks so much for reading. I appreciate each and every one of you! I hope you enjoyed the design, let me know if you try it!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, you put so much effort into that anchor...that is just beautiful.
    You're awesome at this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so much, it honestly took me forever to do! I'm not even that good at nail art, but this turned out way better than I expected :)

    ReplyDelete