Sunday 27 January 2013

Swatch: BarryM Textured Nail Effects

Hi ladies! Winter 2012 saw the explosion of the 'textured nails' around the Nail Polish Community, from Liquid Sand to Leather to Concrete and Feathers - it's no surprise that they continue to be a hit in 2013. With big named brands such as OPI, Nails Inc and soon to be China Glaze, it was only a matter of time before household drugstore brands jumped on the bandwagon & who better to start than one of the most renowned drugstore brands - BarryM!
I have all 4 of their new 'Textured Nail Effects' to show you this afternoon, all of which are Spring ready shades all named after famous haunts where Mr Barry Mero began his early working days in the markets of Ridley Road and Brixton.  Before I get into the swatches, I thought I would talk to you about the formula, since all 4 are the same consistency it would be silly to mention the same thing over and over again.
As with every BarryM Nail Paint I have tried, the formula is amazing. Especially due to the nature of the Nail Paint, I found all of them to be just the right consistency and applied like butter without any patchiness and streaking. All 4 polishes were opaque with 2 coats and dried in around 3/4 minutes to a texture similar to Nails Inc - Leather polishes, since they're not as rough as OPI Liquid Sands and also not as lumpy as Nails Inc Concretes. Though I don't own any Nails Inc Leather or Concretes, I'm basing my judgement solely on various swatches I have seen around the blogesphere.

Okay, so I've rambled enough, it's time to see the swatches! I want to just apologise now for my awful swatches, I have no idea what is going on with my nails/cuticles right now and I've also misplaced my clean up brush too!



Ridley Road is a Mint Green polish, similar to that of the same name from last years Spring release. I forgot to mention earlier, I found the easiest way to apply these polishes were to start with a thin layer for the first coat and then add a thicker second coat.



Atlantic Road is a light Sky Blue similar to Blueberry Ice Cream from the Ice Cream collection released last Spring.



Station Road is a Pastel Yellow with a Yellow/Gold Shimmer. Yellow polishes are like Marmite in the Nail Polish Community, you either love them or hate them, unfortunately I am the latter. Though I must say the shimmer was a nice surprise! Again, this is similar to Lemon Ice Cream from last years Spring releases.



Kingsley Road is a baby Pink similar to Strawberry Ice Cream from last years collection. I do believe, however, that Kingsley Road is a little bit lighter than Strawberry Ice Cream was, but since I no longer own that polish, I can't compare them for sure.


I'm sure you're all curious about the removal too? Well although I only had each polish on for 10 minutes max, the removal seemed fairly easy. I did have to apply slightly more pressure than usual due to the texture, so I imagine after a full days manicure the Tin Foil method or even a PVA glue base coat would be more beneficial and time efficient.

Overall, I was really pleased with the quality and how easy to apply these polishes were. After finding the Liquid Sands a little too rough for my liking, the Textured Nail Effects are a lot suited to my taste. 
If you're wondering where you can get yourself some of these Nail Paints, they are set to launch in Superdrug stores nationwide on February 13th & Boots stores on February 20th.  Products will also launch on BarryM on February 13th alongside the Superdrug launch and will retail for £3.99 each! 
To make sure you don't miss the announcements remember to follow BarryM on their Social Media networks; FacebookTwitterTumblr and Pinterest!


4 comments:

  1. Nice swatches! I'd go for the baby pink. That's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seem pretty cool! I'm loving the look of all these textured polishes though I don't have any!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure about these, but they actually look pretty nice from your swatches! I love Ridley Road and Station Road :)

    Jesss xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I have never seen something like this! I have to get my hands on these polishes :-D

    ReplyDelete